Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ready, Set, Grow: Growing Your Hair on a College Budget

It's time I let you in on a little secret. I'm obsessed with my hair. I love shampooing, styling and sometimes snipping my hair. Try as I might, I just can't stop.
After making the impulse decision get a bob in March of 2011, I've been experiencing some major growing pains. While I loved my short and sleek haircut, I couldn't help but miss having long hair. 
Hey don't look tan? Find out how I got my glow!
 At the height of my hair envy, I scoured the internet for a recipe for long locks but there  mixed messages about what makes hair grow fastest. Most techniques are complicated, outlandish and impossible on a college budget. 

I'm here to put some major hair myths to rest. Here's what I've learned about growing long, strong and healthy hair: 

Myth #1: Growing Out your Hair is Expensive
The most discouraging thing about tending to your transitional tresses is that most products that promote hair growth are so expensive. Listen ladies: It is possible to grow out your hair on a budget, you just need the right tools. First let's talk shampoo and conditioner:

Not Your Mother's Way to Grow Long and Strong Shampoo
This shampoo prevent's all sorts of breakage. It's nourishing formula fortifies your hair to prevent split ends and at less than $6.00  your hair and your bank account will thank you. For best results, message the shampoo into your scalp for a minute or two to promote circulation that will lead to hair growth. Follow this step with the Way to Grow Long and Strong Conditioner and you're good to go! Added bonus: It smells like  gummy peach rings!

Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist Deeeeep Conditioner
Every few days it's important to show your hair some extra love with a deep conditioner. I've spent an ungodly amount of money on deep conditioners but my hair has never felt healthier than when I used this product. The real miracle: it's only $3.00 Be warned that this product has a heavy coconut smell.

Myth #2: Clean Hair = Healthy Hair
I know I just raved about my favorite shampoos and conditioners, but hear me out for a second. Over-washing your hair strips it of it's natural oils that are essential in speeding up hair growth. With the help of dry shampoo and argon oil I wash my fine hair three times a week.
  • Knowing how to use dry shampoo is key. Most dry shampoos leave a powdery residue so be sure to spray the product 6-8 inches away from your hair. Brushing your hair after applying the product can help reduce this powdery finish. 
  • For added volume, blow-dry the roots of your hair after applying dry shampoo. No one will know you didn't wash your hair... I promise!
  • I believe all dry shampoos are created equal. You can even make dry shampoo using baby powder
  • After applying dry shampoo to your roots, apply half a pump argon oil to the ends of your to keep them from looking dry. I recommend L'Oreal EverSleek Precious Oil Treatment. It's less greasy than Moroccanoil and much cheaper too!
Myth #3: Don't Cut Your Hair 
This sounds counterintuitive right? Wrong. On average the ends of your hair are about three years old. If your ends are not taken care of properly, they can sabotage your quest for long silky hair. 
  • Trim your hair less than a half and inch every two months. If you wait longer than two months, your ends will split and you'll have to cut into the length of your hair
  • Fake it till you make it. Adding long, face framing layers will make your hair look longer
  • Ask your stylist to create subtle v-shaped layers in the back of your hair. This will help draw the eye to the longest layer of hair. This helps eliminate that awkward transition between short and long hair.
Myth #4 Don't Color Your Hair
While you might think coloring your hair may be damaging, adding subtle hi-lights or ombre can make your hair look longer. Don't believe me? Meet my hair idol, Grace. She has thick, healthy hair that looks great in any shade.
The contrast of her highlights draws the eye to the entire length of her hair. Ombre creates a similar allusion by drawing the eye to the ends of the hair. DIY Ombre is a great alternative to pricey salon hi-lights. 

Do you have tips for growing out your hair? I'd love to hear them!
-Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment